“The Secret to blogging is an 11 letter word that brings a sigh to almost every person who hears it…CONSISTENCY!”
So, Here I am almost three years into blogging and I’m still learning new things every single day. Who knew fashion blogging was NOT as glamorous as I thought it would be?. It’s just hard work, long nights and little recognition for a long time. Let me tell you, blogging takes a toll on you mentally, emotionally and physically. When you see these fashion bloggers on the web with 100K plus followers, they have put in years of hard work, long nights and countless hours building their brand. So, for anyone that wants to start a blog, whether it’s fashion, lifestyle, sports or anything in-between, remember the secret to blogging is consistency.
Today, I want to focus on some of the secrets to blogging that have helped me along the way, some of my favorite editing apps, and the bloggers that have inspired me on my journey. FYI, This is my birthday week so I plan on being consistent this week and giving you looks after looks. Also, all gifts can be shipped directly to me (I take MOOLAH)! Jokes aside, I hope these secrets to blogging will help you in one way or another.
The first secret to blogging is to find a platform that works better for you. There are so many sites that allow you to host your blog on them for FREE. WordPress has a free platform and you can sign up today with just a couple of simple steps. WIX is also one of the top blogging platforms out there for beginner bloggers with a free feature for you as well. The last one I would recommend is Weebly. These are my three favorite, so if you are dreaming about your own blog, give them a try.
Now, no matter what kind of blogging you plan on doing, you will need a camera. You want to have your own pictures and not have to rely on stock photography or pictures from the internet. If you are a fashion blogger, a good camera is a must-have. I am a Canon fanatic and I highly recommend the DSLR’s because they are easy to use and take great photos. The Rebel series is my favorite. I recently bought the Canon T6i on Amazon and you can purchase it HERE. I shoot all my photos with either the T6i or my EOS M with a prime lens or a 18-55MM lens or my long range 75-300MM lens. My prime lens is usually for close up portrait photography. This bundle from Amazon comes with a lot of great features and other products as well. You won’t find it cheaper any where else. But, if you can’t afford that camera, there is also a Canon Powershot for $219.99 HERE. But, if you really don’t want to shell out money until you absolutely have to, use your Iphone or Android camera and edit it until you can splurge on a camera. Let’s go to the most important secret to blogging: editing!
Editing is one of the most important secret to blogging that you will ever find out. Most bloggers edit their photos to the GAWDS. they edit everything from their nail polish all the way up to the color of the sky above them. Editing is CLUTCH. I am doing a side-by side comparison of a picture I recently shot with my Canon T6i. It was shot with my 18-55MM lens in a dark parking deck with very low light. Another tip, I always shoot in both RAW and JPG so that I will be able to edit my pictures on both my phone and in Lightroom or Photoshop. I made sure my shutter speed was low to let in more light and my ISO was low so that I didn’t get any distortion. I then took it into Photoshop and edited it. Y’all, one of the biggest secret to blogging is that most of these editing tricks can be done ON YOUR PHONE (HURRAY)!
Can you see the difference a little editing can do to a picture? Don’t I look like a barbie in that edited pic (you better say YES, LOL). Now, Here are my favorite editing platforms that can be done simply on your phone:
- Photoshop Express: You can download it straight to your phone and it allows you to do minor editing to your photos. You can fix the exposure, bring in more darks or whites, smooth your skin and lots of other cool features.
- Facetune: Man, this is one of my favorite apps. It is not free but it is definitely worth it. This app will smooth your skin like crazy. It will allow you to bring details out in your clothes, makeup or background. Oh, and whiten your teeth which everyone loves to do.
- Snapseed: So do you ever see a spot on your dress you want to take out or do you want to darken the background but still highlight your face? This app is for you. I love fixing minor details in Snapseed.
- VSCO: I just love this app because it allows me to put great filters on my photos. Great for food or scenic shots.
- LightroomCC: This app is comparable to Photoshop Express and has great effect filters.
Remember to not over edit or your pictures will look unrealistic, unless that’s the look you are going for. Once you start editing, you will find a look that you like. Some people like their pictures darker and some people love lighter pictures, so find your editing style and stick to it; this will be your photo signature.
Another secret to blogging is to find people that inspire you to be better and to keep going. Remember in the beginning I told you the biggest secret to blogging was Consistency, keep that in mind when finding blogger inspirations. Find someone that is doing what you would like to do and watch how consistent they are in their craft. They never take weeks or even days off; they are always in your face with post after post. Consistency is key. In this day and age with so many people blogging, you have to find your niche, stand out in it, and keep working at it. People want to see that you are consistent and passionate about what you are saying and doing. They also love to see your progression as you grow, so show them that as well. Here are some bloggers that inspire me every day to keep going and give me major LIFE with all their posts:
- Micah Gianneli: This lady is BOSS every single day with every single post. She is always serving looks from upscale to street style.
- Wendyslookbook: She was one of my first blogger crushes. Her style is so ladylike and elegant you can’t help but feel like you know her.
- Titiola Sogunro: My blogger BFF I love her personality, drive and of course her style. Blogging is such a competitive art but it’s always good to find people who are willing to help others out. Titi is bae!
- Kyrzayda Rodriguez: Man or man this lady knows how to slay. She is battling cancer right now and is so open about her battle and journey. Her style is impeccable and she’s an amazing human.
- Holly: Okay, if you want a fresh new look at fashion or over the top styling, she is the one to follow. Her color blocking and textures are always sublime.
- Juliette Foxx: I recently started following this beauty but OMG style on 1000%. Her street style always inspires me to push the envelope when it comes to dressing myself.
Because i’m a fashion blogger, I follow people that inspire me daily. Like I said, find someone in your niche and follow them. Never be afraid to slide in their DM and ask for advice or help. The last secret to blogging is to stay humble and engage with every single follower. A simple thank you to a comment on a photo goes a long way. Follow other bloggers, comment on their post, find Facebook groups to join and enjoy the journey. Write down why you want to begin this blogging journey and keep that in mind whenever the road gets bumpy and you want to quit.
I hope this post helped you in some way. I love all of you who visit this blog, visit my instagram and comment and like my post. You all are my real inspiration to keep going and keep striving for success.
For collaborations, email me at email@example.com or find me on Instagram at Oluwafunmifly.