“ISSABIRTHDAYCELEBRATION and all I want to do is reflect on the lessons i’ve learned this past year”
Y’all, I am a whole year older, a new year wiser and a new year happier. There is only one word that comes to mind today and that word is GRATEFUL! I am grateful for my life, I am grateful for my family, I am grateful for my friends and I am grateful for all of you! All I want to do is throw a dance party and praise God for all of His many blessings, love, protection and favor. As I reflect on the lessons i’ve learned this past year I am overwhelmed by how much i’ve grown, become more focused and learned to take things in stride. In this post I want to share with you the five lessons i’ve learned this past year of my life and I hope it helps you in some way.
Here are the five lessons I’ve learned this past year and I’ll use my name FUNMI as an acronym:
- Focus on the Good: There are so many things that point you to the bad and teaches you to focus on what’s wrong with your life, but you have to train your mind to focus on the good all the time. The bad in your life that you don’t like, fix it if it can be fixed but don’t fixate on it. Allow the good to be on the forefront of your mind. Philippians 4:8 says that “whatever things are lovely, whatever things are pure, whatever things are of good report, that’s what you meditate on.” So, remind yourself that you are an AMAZING human and worthy of love, success and happiness.
- Understand Yourself: No one will know you better than you know you. I took this year out to find myself, to find out what I wanted to do with my life and figure out how I was going to make it happen. It doesn’t matter what age you are, introspection can happen at any time. So, find yourself, find your dream, find your purpose and everything else will fall into place.
- Never Give Up: You don’t know how many times this year I wanted to give up on this whole blogging endeavor. I am two years into this experience and sometimes I get so bogged down with the lack of “progress” that I just want to quit. But, I keep telling myself that someone else’s trajectory is not my trajectory; someone’s path is not my path. I have to remember lesson number one and focus on the good and that keeps me from giving up. Whether it’s your job, your husband, your friends, your dream, DON’T GIVE UP… success is right around the corner.
- Make Time For Family: In this world of busyness and Boss moves, we have to remember friends and family. We have to remember the people that helped us get where we are now. This one lesson I’ve learned this past year is very important! I have a one-year-old son and I have to make a choice to focus on him. I’m also married, and in the middle of all the whirlwind of my day, I have to make time to focus on him. We can’t win in the business, education or our sphere of influence and lose our families and friends in the process. Make time for what’s truly important.
- Influence Others: The best lesson I’ve learned this year is to influence those around me. I am just starting out in my journey in life with my baby, my husband and my blog but there is someone that needs what I have to offer. I try and use my influence for good and be an open book and an open door. If anyone needs help, advice or prayer, I’m always there to help. Real talk, the more you pour into others, the more you get out of it…SO GIVE OF YOURSELF SELFLESSLY!
It’s a new year for me and these lessons I’ve learned this past year will go into 2018 with me. I will focus on the good, ignore the bad and love the ones who love me back. I plan on spending my birthday with my husband in Las Vegas for a couple of days and then coming back and hugging my son until he gets tired of me. I am so grateful to see another year and again, I am grateful for each and everyone of you who come week after week to read, comment and love on my blog and on me. You keep me going. Thank you!
Now that I’ve given you the five lessons I’ve learned this past year, I hope you’ll be able to take them into 2018 with you as well. My look today is very elegant and the color is perfect for the holidays and for my BURFDAY! I wanted to be elegant and dramatic. The skirt is Badgley Mischka from Dillards Department Store and my blouse was especially made by my friends and visionary Derek D’eandre. My heels are from Macy’s Department store. I hope you enjoyed this post and this look. Check out my last post on my favorite faux furs for this winter season HERE.
Hope y’all have a wonderful weekend. For collaborations email me at firstname.lastname@example.org and find me on Instagram at Oluwafunmifly to see all the behind-the-scenes Vegas shenanigans.